Those who own dogs are also happier than those who don’t, showing that dogs really do bring great joy to their owners’ lives. With over half of pet owners falling in love with their dogs in just 30 minutes, it’s no surprise that those with dogs are happier than those without pets.
Why are dog owners happier?
The study concluded that:
• Dog owners are more likely to form friendships with people in their neighbourhoods, especially when they’re out walking their pets.
• Dog owners are more likely to engage in outdoor physical activity.
• Dog owners tended to be more agreeable, more extroverted and less neuroticthan cat owners
• Dog owners are more likely to seek comfort from their pets in times of stress.
• 93% are also more likely to call their dog a member of the family, compared to just 83% of cat owners
• It also shows that a greater bond with their dog means they have a greater sense of well-being.
Elsewhere, a 2013 study showed that dog owners are also far more likely to engage in outdoor activities than those who own cats.
Dogs not only bring great happiness to their owners, but also help them to keep an active lifestyle. It’s just another reason to adopt a pup of your own today.